Cinco de Mayo is coming up which means this Michelada recipe will be coming out to play – so full of flavor it captures the celebratory nature of the holiday!
This recipe is sponsored by Constellation Brands. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
One of my favorite holidays is approaching… Cinco de Mayo! I love the celebratory nature of the holiday (I’m always down for a fiesta!) and it’s a perfect excuse to celebrate with my favorite Mexican beers. Not that an “excuse” is needed by any means; this time of year is also the kick off to patio season where I can sit on my patio with a good book and cold Corona Light and just relax (with no guilt since it’s only 99 calories a bottle).
One of my favorite refreshments for Cinco de Mayo (or any old day really!) is a Michelada. Have you tried one? It’s often described as a Mexican Bloody Mary and it’s soooo yummy. I’ve tweaked the traditional version some and we think it’s just right!
What makes a Michelada so different from a standard Bloody is the addition of beer. It may sound strange but believe me, the Modelo Especial in there totally makes it. It gives the Michelada a crisp clean finish with a bright pop of citrus (which plays so well with the lime zest in the rim seasoning!) This Mexican Bloody Mary is the perfect beverage accompaniment to these delicious Mexican BBQ Beef Brisket Burrito Bowls!
Michelada (Mexican Bloody Mary)
- 1 cup Clamato or tomato juice
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 ounces vodka
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce plus or minus depending on your heat-tolerance
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- 8 ounces Modelo Especial
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery salt
- Garnishes: Celery stalks sriracha bacon (oh yes I did!), lime wedges, olives, pepperoncini, sweet gherkins, extra hot sauce, etc.
- Combine the tomato juice, lime juice, vodka and hot sauce sauce in a cocktail shaker or jug and shake it up.
- Combine coarse salt, celery salt, chili powder and lime zest in a shallow dish. Run a lime wedge along the rim of glass and dip into the salt mixture.
- Pour the tomato juice mixture equally among 4 glasses filled with ice.
- Top each glass off with Modelo Especial just before serving. Garnish as desired.