See how easy it is to make this festive DIY Buffalo Check Christmas Pillow with a Cricut machine and Infusible Ink!
To know me is to know my love of all things buffalo check. Well, maybe not all things but a heck of a lot of things! I have incorporated a lot of buffalo check into my decor… I even painted an entire buffalo check accent wall in my daughter’s nursery! So yeah, I wasn’t kidding, I’m a big fan. And red and black buffalo plaid Christmas decor is pretty much my love language. I still love pulling out these Snowflake Red and Black Buffalo Check Coasters I made years ago (one of my 1st Cricut projects, actually!)
When I saw the Cricut Buffalo Check Infusible Ink Transfer Sheets I knew I needed to make some Christmas decor with it. I’ve been loving making throw pillow covers with Infusible Ink and Cricut’s throw pillow cover blanks, so a festive Buffalo Check Christmas Throw Pillow Cover was the perfect project to make. Aaand Buffalo Check Christmas Trees?! Done and done!
Because I’m also a huge fan of a two-fer or reversible project, I decided to make the buffalo plaid Christmas pillow the flip-side of the Hey Pumpkin Infusible Ink Pillow Cover I made back in August (you can find that version and tutorial here). Now I have a reversible fall to Christmas throw pillow cover that I love!
Supplies for Buffalo Plaid Christmas Pillow with Infusible Ink
- Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore Air 2
- Tree trio cut file
- Infusible Ink Pillow Cover Blank
- EasyPress 2 12” x 10”
- EasyPress Mat 20” x 16”
- Lint roller
- White cardstock
- Butcher paper
- Heat Resistant Tape
If you haven’t used Infusible Ink before, check out this post for all of the in’s and out’s. The seamless and professional results of Infusible Ink are incomparable to any other material, but that amazing result requires a little more attention to detail. Don’t worry though, if you follow the directions and have the right tools/materials, you’re golden.
How to Make Buffalo Check Christmas Throw Pillow with Cricut Infusible InkPrint Pin Rate
- In Design Space, open the triple tree cut file and adjust the size if you'd like. Click Make it and mirror the image.
- On the Cricut Maker, choose browse all materials from the drop down menu and select Infusible Ink Transfer Sheet. If you're using a Cricut Explore model, turn the Smart Dial to Custom and select Infusible Ink in Design Space.
- Place the Infusible Ink transfer sheet onto the cutting mat liner (shiny, non-patterned) side down. Load the mat into machine and press the flashing GO button.
- Remove the cut design from the mat and trim away unused area of sheet. Gently roll the cut design so the cut lines separate and are more visible. “Cracking” the cut like this makes it easier to grasp and remove excess paper from in and around your design. Make sure your hands are completely dry before weeding. Use tweezers or your fingers to carefully weed negative pieces from in and around your design, leaving the design on the liner. Trim the clear liner so that it does not extend beyond Cricut EasyPress heat plate.
- Set your EasyPress to 385º F. The EasyPress 2 12" x 10" is the perfect size for the pillow cover blanks. You want to make sure the entire design is covered with the EasyPress; you don't want to overlap the heat on an area or the results may look inconsistent.
- Place the pillow cover blank on the Cricut EasyPress mat. Position a sheet of card stock inside the pillow cover where the design will be to protect the pillow case and mat.
- Use a fresh adhesive lint roller and roll the entire surface of the pillow cover. Even the smallest debris or fibers can create imperfections in the Infusible Ink transfer.
- Cover the throw pillow cover with butcher paper and preheat the application area at 385º F for 15 seconds. The butcher paper must be larger than the Cricut EasyPress heat plate (butcher paper comes with the Infusible Ink transfer sheets).
- Place the design face down on the pillow cover with the clear liner on top and cover with butcher paper. You can use heat resistant tape to keep your design in place if you'd like.
- Press at 385º F for 60 seconds with light pressure.
- Slowly lift the EasyPress, remove the butcher paper and remove the liner while still warm.
Would you love incorporating this Buffalo Plaid Christmas Trees Pillow into your holiday decor? If you’re not a fan of it yourself, can you think of a buffalo check lover who would love it? Bam, great handmade gift idea!