If you’ve ever wondered how to paint plaid… this Pearly DIY Plaid Coasters tutorial will show you just how easy it is with step by step instructions and video.
To know me is to know my love of all things buffalo check. I have a variety of buffalo check projects on my blog like these holiday chargers and this nursery sign I made for my daughter. I even painted an entire wall in her nursery in buffalo check! I found a set of coasters awhile back at the thrift store for a buck and I thought they could look beautiful with a pearly makeover courtesy of DecoArt’s new Americana Pearls paints. While I’m still a huge buffalo check lover, I thought I’d mix it up with these coasters and paint them in a plaid pattern.
Plaid meets pearl might just be my new favorite thing. Like ever.
Americana Pearls are unlike any other metallic or shimmer paint you’ve ever used… the dimension and sheen are just stunning. Ready to make yourself a set? Let’s go!
How to Paint Plaid: Pearly DIY Plaid Coasters
I started out with a set of random thrift store coasters so to give them a clean slate, I painted them with a coat of Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting to give the best opaque coverage and a matte finish to show off
Something important to remember with stenciling… less paint is best. After you dip the stencil dauber into the paint, tap off the majority of the paint onto a plate or paper towel. The stencil dauber should be almost dry to ensure that paint doesn’t bleed under the painters tape. It’s much better to do 2 or 3 light coats as opposed to 1 or 2 heavier coats to avoid paint bleeding under the tape.
How to Paint Plaid Coasters
- DecoArt Americana Pearls in Lamp Black Slate Grey and True Red
- Painter’s tape
- Stencil dauber
- Fine point paint brush
- Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting optional
- DuraClear Gloss Varnish
- I started out with a set of random thrift store coasters so to give them a clean slate, I painted them with a coat of Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting to give the best opaque coverage and a matte finish to show off the beautiful sheen of the Americana Pearls paints.
- To determine where to tape off the coasters, measure and mark the middle of each one with pencil (be sure to erase markings before painting). Place one piece of painters tape to the left of the line and one small piece to the left of the line to act as a marker (a lot easier than measuring!) Place another piece of painters tape on the other side of the marker piece and remove the marker. These will be the vertical stripes. Press and smooth the tape edges to ensure maximum adhesion to the coasters without bleeding.
- Mix about a 2:1 ratio of Americana Pearls in Slate Grey and Lamp Black. Tap the stencil dauber into the paint and remove excess onto a plate or paper towel. With dabbing motion, apply 2 coats of this color in between the tape.
- Carefully and slowly peel back the painters immediately after applying the 2nd coat. Allow to dry for several hours.
- Next tape off the stripes horizontally. Paint in between tape with 2 coats of the same paint mixture. Allow to dry fully and this time do not remove the tape.
- Re-tape the vertical stripes in the same exact position as the original vertical tape.
- Apply 2 coats of Americana Pearls in Lamp Black to the exposed areas.
- Carefully and slowly peel back and remove all painters tape. Allow to dry.
- Using a fine point detail brush, paint a thin line of True Red down the middle of the vertical checks. Once dry, paint another thin line of True Red down the center of the horizontal checks.
- Apply 2 - 3 coats of DuraClear Gloss Varnish to seal coasters for use, allowing to dry thoroughly between coats.
Isn’t the sheen gorgeous?! Pictures truly can’t do the beauty and dimension of the Americana Pearls justice… I have so many more project ideas to make with these lovelies!
Something to keep in mind… you don’t want to use the coasters to come into direct contact with food since the paints aren’t food safe. But a cup or mug with your favorite beverage is a perfect use! 🙂
Leave a Reply