Create a customized candle in minutes with a Cricut machine. These fun and free designs make an amazing Christmas gifts for neighbors, teachers or any candle lover in your life!
Make sure to scroll down for some fabulous holiday gift ideas from some of my favorite creative bloggers!
Anyone else love candles but not such a fan of the boring jars they come in? BBW does have really cute candle jars, but I’m not personally a fan of spending 20 bucks on one candle (although that Peppermint Marshmallow scent is awfully tempting!)
I first made a customized candle gift for my mom for Mother’s Day (you can see that one here) and I’ve been kind of addicted to making them ever since. It’s amazing how easy it is to create customized candles with a Cricut machine and some adhesive vinyl!
How to Make a Customized Candle Gift with a Cricut
For the printable instruction card below, I use the “Let’s Get Lit” image from Cricut Design Space, but the same instructions apply to the 3 other designs I made as well (although the others only have one single color of vinyl, therefore fewer steps). There are literally thousands of fun Christmas designs and phrases to choose from in Design Space to make your customized candle (and all of the custom Christmas candles I made used designs that are free with Cricut Access!
“Let’s Get Lit” Candle Design
“Believe in the Magic of Christmas” Candle Design
“All is Bright” Candle Design
“It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Candle Design
Supplies to Make Customized Christmas Candles
You can use a Cricut Maker, Explore Air 2 or Cricut Joy to make your custom candles. Customize candle jars with permanent or removable vinyl (then you can change your candle decor for every season or whim!) I’ve had great luck finding cheap jar candles at thrift stores or garage sales, but you can find inexpensive options in many stores.
You can also even add the adhesive vinyl right onto a candle itself (only if you plan to use it as a decoration though, you wouldn’t want to burn it with vinyl on it).
Customized Candle Gift with a Cricut
For All Customized Candle Designs
Let's Get Lit Candle
Believe in the Magic of Christmas Candle
- Open the Let's Get Lit cut file (or customized candle design of your choice) and customize size and colors as desired. Select materials for each layer and cut adhesive vinyl according to your machine's cut settings and the type of vinyl you're using. Cut each layer.
- Cut around each design element and weed excess vinyl.
- Place each color onto the base layer's vinyl liner with transfer tape (in this case, place the lightbulbs onto the let's get lit phrase and cord).
- Once all elements are layered, cut another piece of transfer tape to cover the entire design and burnish around all elements.
- To avoid any placement mistakes, position your design where you want it on the candle prior to removing the design from the layer. Place a piece of masking tape vertically (slightly off center) all the way down the design to keep it firmly in place.
- Peel the liner away from the transfer tape (ensuring that the vinyl sticks to the transfer tape) on the wider side of the design until you reach the taped area. Cut that portion of the liner off with scissors and press the transfer tape onto the candle, smoothing from the inside out. Remove the masking tape and peel away the remainder of the liner from the transfer tape and smooth onto the candle.
- Peel back transfer tape.
Ok, you can be honest… are you just here for the giveaway? 😉 I’m teaming up with some of my favorite creative bloggers to offer you guys a chance to win this awesome Cricut Joy bundle (a $258 value) along with a copy of our friend Crystal’s new book, The Unofficial Book of Cricut Crafts. I love my little Cricut Joy and have made some super fun projects with it (along with 1 gazillion-twenty cards with the awesome card mats). There’s an opportunity to get NINE entries, so be sure to do them all to increase your odds.
Even if you are just here for the giveaway, these awesome Christmas gift ideas from my friends are scroll stoppers, right?! You can find all of these project tutorials through the links below the photo collage.
Buffalo Plaid Earrings – Hey, Let’s Make Stuff • Foiled Plant Art – The Country Chic Cottage • How to Make a Customized Candle Gift – Lydi Out Loud • Plant Lover Gift Idea – Lemon Thistle • DIY Santa Snack Plate – Hello Creative Family • Holiday Gift Tag Labels – Liz on Call • Merry & Bright Infusible Ink Mug – Happiness is Homemade • Baby it’s Cold Outside Scarf Girl – Paging Supermom • Personalized Coasters with Infusible Ink – That’s What Che Said