Create a unique DIY Wood Picture Frame in 3 simple steps to display your favorite photos or pieces of art. It would also be perfect for the all kids’ drawings that you might have stacked up waiting to display!
Hey friends, happy hump day! I hope you’re having a great week so far. As I’ve been trying my hand at more art/painting techniques, I’ve been on the hunt for unique picture frame ideas to display them… the art projects that haven’t been fails, that is. And trust me, there have been plenty of those! 😉 Especially considering that some of the new techniques I’ve been trying are heavily textured, I’d hate to hide them behind a traditional glass picture frame that hides all of the dimension. So what’s the solution? Of course a DIY picture frame!
Follow along with these simple steps to make your own DIY frame to display your favorite photos, art or even the kids’ drawings.
How to Make a DIY Wood Picture Frame with Craft Sticks
Affiliate links provided.
- 2 wood craft sticks
- DecoArt Dazzling Metallics paint in Champagne Gold
- Paint brush
- Jute twine (in whatever length of hanger you’d like)
- E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
- Photo mounting squares
1. Paint the craft sticks for your DIY frame with 3 coats of metallic gold paint. All I had on hand were green craft sticks so if you’re using natural colored sticks you can do 2 coats of paint. Allow to dry.
2. Cut a piece of jute to the size you’d like for your DIY Photo Frame hanger. Attach each end of the jute to the craft stick with a decent sized glob of industrial strength adhesive (the twine should be almost laying in a pool of glue for max durability). Allow to dry for several hours or overnight.
3. For this feather watercolor piece that I was framing (you can check out that tutorial on the Darice blog!), I decided to use foam photo mounting squares to give the frame a raised appearance as it would have if it were a traditional frame with glass, etc. I simply mounted the squares on the back of the craft sticks, peeled back the adhesive and positioned the watercolor where I wanted it.
And it’s that simple!
These DIY wood picture frames are a quick, inexpensive and beautiful solution to display all of the pictures and kids art you have stacked up waiting to display. And of course you can make your DIY frame whatever color you’d like with whatever kind of rope/ribbon is your favorite.
What photos/art do you have laying around that you’d like to display with a DIY Wood Picture Frame?
avis star of service says
So nice ! I wanna try this.
Thanks so much, have fun with it! 🙂
This would be great to do with kids.
Great idea, Julie! It would be a fun Mother’s Day activity! 🙂
Wow! Those are cool!!
Thanks so much Melissa!