If you’ve never made DIY Lotion Bars, you have to try this simple lotion bar recipe! Use them right in the shower for instant and lasting hydration.
The golden rule of body lotion application is to “apply immediately after shower to seal in moisture.” So you could safely say I’m a failure at lotion. I always have the best intentions of applying it when I get out of the shower, but in reality, it doesn’t happen very often. By the time I get out of the shower and I do my facial skin care, I’m rushing to get makeup and clothes on, and then the clothes are on, so another opportunity for moisturized skin has bitten the dust.
How Do Lotion Bars Work?
I first discovered the idea of lotioning in the shower during a stroll through one of my favorite stores to stroll through, Lush. I found a thing called a lotion bar that you use in the shower. In the shower! I thought it would be a game changer, which it was, and it has definitely been a skin changer! After finishing your shower, you just grab the lotion bar and smooth it over the areas needing moisture. The lotion glides on, absorbing quickly and easily. Then simply pat dry. The scent and softness last all day like a champ. Genius, right?!
While I love this Lush product, I’m a scent girl. I like a variety of scents in my life, and this bar comes in just one scent. It isn’t offensive by any means, but I’m not in love with it either. A scent that I am a big fan of is lavender. Lavender anything! It’s my scent mood transporter. I scoured my favorite resource, Pinterest, to find a DIY lotion bar recipe and after some experimenting with different ingredients, I found the homemade lotion bars that were the winner! And they are reeeeeally easy to make!
How to Make DIY Lotion Bars
Video and Written Instructions
Makes 6 bars
- 1 cup Beeswax pellets (the pellets are much easier to work with and melt than bulk!)
- 1 cup Shea Butter
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- ½ teaspoon Lavender Oil (or your favorite essential oil)
- Silicone soap mold
Directions for DIY Lotion Bars
1. Using a microwave-safe 4 cup measuring cup, stack the ingredients. Start with filling the measuring cup with 1 cup of the shea butter. Pack it down good with a spatula, it’s pretty thick (think brown sugar).
2. Follow with 1 cup coconut oil…
3. And finally top with 1 cup beeswax.
4. Pop the measuring cup in the microwave, and cook on high for 1 minute. Take out and stir; cook for another minute. Repeat 2 more times or until the mixture has completely liquified (my microwave melts the mixture in 4 minutes total). The beeswax will be the last thing to melt.
5. Once melted, stir in the lavender oil (or whichever scent you prefer). Immediately pour liquid into molds (it begins to harden quickly!)
6. Let the liquid settle for about 5 minutes (so it doesn’t spill everywhere when you transport it!) and then move into the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated for at least 1 hour.
7. Remove from the fridge. The bars pop right out as you push down on the bottom of the lotion bar mold.
And it’s that simple!
If you would like to experiment with different scent combinations, I have found some great essential oil combos that I used in my DIY sugar scrubs.
These DIY lotion bars make great gifts as well… I like to wrap them in parchment paper and put a sticker on them (I used 2″ Avery labels, and used one of their design templates on avery.com).
Here’s to the end of dry skin forever!
Have a wonderful week, friends!