Do you have any foods that you’ve heard of/read about/saw on a menu, etc. that you really want to try? For me, it’s chicken and waffles. I know. Totally random. But having friends from the south and having once lived in what I deemed to be the Brunch Mecca of America (Chicago) I’ve seen it a lot and have always wanted to try it, but haven’t. Maybe it’s a little fear based (I mean let’s face it, it sounds pretty weird), maybe it’s because there was always something else I wanted more or maybe it’s because I didn’t want fried chicken for breakfast… I’m not sure exactly the reason.
Well I finally tried it.
First of all, I feel that I should make a quick disclaimer. Maybe I should have put Chicken and Waffles in quotation marks because this isn’t your traditional chicken and waffles recipe. This version is chicken sausage and waffles but I’ll tell you what… I no longer feel the need to try chicken and waffles with fried chicken after trying this. It’s pretty magical. I can say that because I’m taking absolutely NO credit for the magic, the magic comes from the First Fresh Breakfast Chicken Sausage Links.
I’ve always loved sausage links. I remember going to Bob Evans as a kid with my parents and getting sausage links and dipping them in syrup. I was as happy as any 6 year old could possibly be. Because of this long-standing love I admit that I was a little skeptical about breakfast chicken sausage links. Well no need for that. These are so full of savory flavor and made the perfect pair with the sweetness of the waffles. They also have 78% less fat (GASP!) than pork sausage and contain no hormones or MSG and are also gluten-free.
Bite Size Chicken and Waffles Appetizer
- 1 package First Fresh Breakfast Chicken Sausage Links
- 9 regular sized waffles cut into strips
- Maple syrup for dipping
- Prepare the chicken sausage links according to package directions (I used the stovetop option).
- While the chicken sausage links are cooking, prepare waffles (in a griddle, toaster, whatever your pleasure).
- Cut waffles into strips and then cut in half (if using round waffles you will basically cut a square out of the round waffle and cut in half and then cut in half again).
- Cut off ends of chicken sausage links and cut each link in half.
- Place chicken sausage link piece in between 2 waffle pieces.
- Serve with maple syrup.
You remember about my obsession with foods in shot glasses, right? 😉 These Bite Size Chicken and Waffles are perfectly portable for a party or brunch with the syrup right in the glass.
Thank you First Fresh Foods for sponsoring my recipe! See where you can find First Fresh Chicken Sausages here.
Pin in for later!