This Basil Couscous Salad with Citrus Roasted Chicken may be a simple recipe but there is nothing simple about its bold flavor! Thanks to Bertolli for sponsoring this recipe.
It always seems like once fall approaches that the rest of year flies by, have you ever felt that way? Schedules get crazy for those with kids going back to school, the next thing you know it’s holiday time and then suddenly it’s New Year’s and you’re wondering where the 2nd half of the year went! One way to stay sane during those crazy times is to meal plan and to include LOTS of simple recipes in the meal plan.
When I say simple, I don’t mean boring! With minimal quality ingredients (with maximum flavor!) and your imagination, you can easily enjoy a delicious and nutritious dinner, even on the craziest of nights. One such ingredient (actually the ingredient) is Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Olive oil can often be thought of just another ingredient on the list, but it should be thought of as the star that it is. Its rich, full-bodied flavor is the foundation of a good recipe and is a great companion for kitchen experimentation too.
I usually find a couple of uses for olive oil in my recipes… not only for its bold flavor, but also because it is non-GMO and USDA verified Organic. (They also happen to be the #1 oil brand in the world with over 150 years of expertise in olive oil blending). With some ingredients we don’t always know exactly what we’re getting so I like to control what I can. In my Basil Couscous Salad with Citrus Roasted Chicken, I use olive oil not only for roasting the chicken, I also infuse it with basil which makes a savory and delicious dressing for the dish. If you’ve been around here before you know I loooove me some basil!
Basil Couscous Salad with Citrus Roasted Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 5 oz. package of couscous
- 10 kumquats, thinly sliced and seeded
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoons kumquat juice
- 8 basil leaves
- Dash salt
- If possible infuse the olive oil with basil a couple of days in advance for maximum flavor. Pour olive oil into an airtight container and add the basil leaves. Store in a cabinet or pantry (dark and cool) until ready to use. At that point, add the kumquat juice and salt. The dressing should be used within a week.
- Marinate chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sliced kumquats and a dash of salt for 4 hours.
- Season chicken well with fresh ground black pepper and top with sliced kumquats and 1 tablespoon chopped basil; roast for 20 - 25 minutes in a preheated 400º F oven.
- While chicken bakes, prepare couscous according to package directions. Once simmering, add 2 tablespoons of chopped basil and mix well.
- Place couscous in serving dish and add sliced radishes.
- Slice chicken breast and serve over couscous along with the roasted kumquats and additional sprinkling of chopped basil. Drizzle the basil and citrus infused olive oil on top.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli. The opinions and text are all mine.