I’m the first to admit that I haven’t always been diligent in setting New Year’s resolutions, but I do love the idea for new beginnings that the new year brings. I also like to take the opportunity around New Year’s to reflect and remind myself about things that I should do that make me feel good and to continue doing them, and I do enjoy a beauty resolution or 10!
So as the New Year approaches, let’s all put our pinkies in the air and pinkie promise that we will do our best to follow through on these top 10 beauty resolutions. Our outsides and our insides will thank us!
Top 10 New Year’s Beauty Resolutions:
10. Use SPF. Everyday. I know, unoriginal and expected, but important nonetheless. My favorite is Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (it’s rare that I actually like a product enough to buy another when the first is gone but I have with this!) It’s a twofer with moisturizer and SPF in one.
9. Wash your makeup brushes. You wouldn’t use a dirty wash cloth for months, and that’s not even on your face. There is a great tutorial on washing makeup brushes on Anne Marie Mitchell’s blog. Her easy solution will sanitize and condition your brushes for great longevity. Your brushes are an investment, and you if you treat them right they will be with you for years. MAC Brush Cleanser is great to spot clean your brushes in between your deep cleans.
8. Use a hydrating eye cream twice a day. The eye area has no oil producing glands, which is why it’s one of the 1st areas of the skin that shows signs of aging. You’ve heard me scream the virtues of hyalauranic acid from the mountain tops. Fair warning, I’m about to do it again. Slather. It. On. I’ve found a new one that I’m crushing on hard. Smoothing, soothing and whatever other good words rhyme with those. It’s DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Rescue & Protect Eye Balm.
7. Find a 5 minute makeup routine that makes you feel beautiful when you leave the house. Essentials that will help with that are BB Cream, concealer, an all over stick for lips, eyes and cheeks, eyeliner, tinted brow grooming gel and mascara. I’m a big fan of a 5 minute makeup and will share my 5 minute routine with you later this month.
6. Eat your Wheaties. Breakfast is important. It wakes up your metabolism in the morning and gives you energy through lunch time. When I’m in a rush during the week, I grab a protein bar for the road.
5. Step away from the magnifying mirror. At least don’t stare into it everyday. I can appreciate the value in peeping in to this devil occasionally, especially for grooming brows, but over utilizing it is the self-defeating equivalent of weighing yourself everyday. It can make you overcritical about your skin when no one is looking at it that closely.
4. See a Dermotologist. Unfortunately I have a few people close to me who have had skin cancer, and they weren’t even sun worshippers. It’s a good idea to get screened annually.
3. Purge old makeup and skincare. It truly DOES expire, it’s not just a gimmick to get you to buy it more often. Active ingredients (especially the high tech potent ones) lose their efficacy and makeup grows bacteria. The symbol below is on most beauty product packaging and indicates how many months you can use the product after opening it. And please, for all that is good, replace mascara every 3 months. Yes mom, that’s for you. 😉
2. Drink more water. Hydrated insides lead to hydrated looking outsides. That goes for hair, nails, skin. Drink up. 8 glasses minimum if you can. Squirt some Crystal Light or something of the sort in it if you can’t stand drinking it.
1. Beauty Resolution:
Know that even if you don’t follow through on beauty resolutions 1 – 9, you are BEAUTIFUL, no matter what! Don’t believe me? Fake it until you make it with some help from one of my favorite Wayne Dyer quotes below. And please hit me up if you ever need a reminder!
Happy New Year! I truly hope that it’s your best year ever. I’m SO thankful for all of you that have shared your time with me to read my blog. I hope you visit with me often in 2015!