This post for Red, White and Blue Cool Treats has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Skittles. All opinions are mine alone. #SkittlesAmericaMix #tastetherainbow #
Summer is OFFICIALLY here and oh my goodness is it hot! I actually think of summer as the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day and in between those holidays it’s all about the red, white & blue around here! I love a good summer party and try to make as much of the food and decor red, white and blue as I can. This summer I’m getting some help in that department from Skittles. I’m having so much fun with their limited edition America Mix… decorating with them, drinking them and of course nibbling on them! They’re the same fruity sweet Skittles, but in America’s signature colors.
You can purchase them through Amazon Prime and get them in 2 days with free shipping (my Prime membership pays for itself in the shipping alone!).
First up I made some delicious Skittles Fruit Coolers; they’re perfect to whip up for your next summer get together.
Skittles Fruit Coolers
Skittles America Mix Strawberry and Wild Berry flavors
Still or Sparkling Water
1. Separate and put aside Wild Berry and Strawberry Skittles. These are the flavors of your Coolers.
2. Crush both Skittles flavors separately in a food processor or blender until a crystal powder is formed (if there are large chunks of candy remaining you can strain the mixture through a sifter). The amount below makes enough for about 12 drinks.
3. For the Strawberry Coolers, cut a slice in a strawberry and run it along the rim of the glass (the juice will help the Skittles crystals adhere to the glass). For the Wild Berry Coolers repeat the same process but use a blueberry instead of a strawberry.
4. Once the rim is dampened, dip it into the Skittles crystals. Let it sit in there for a few minutes so that the juice doesn’t drip down the side when you flip it right side up.
5. Fill glasses with cold sparkling or still water and add some juice from muddled Strawberries or Blueberries. For garnish (and more red & blue!), drop blueberries into the Wild Berry Coolers and add a sliced Strawberry to the rim of the Strawberry Coolers.
Everyone loves a good and cold popsicle in the summer, right? I used more Skittles to make refreshing yogurt pops. I’m telling you guys, these are just necessary on a hot afternoon.
Red, White & Blue Fireworks Yogurt Pops
Makes 12 yogurt pops
Skittles America Mix
12 oz container Vanilla or Plain Greek Yogurt
Paper bathroom cups (or popsicle molds if you’re fancy like that)
1. Add yogurt to cups to about ¾ full. Drop in Skittles and add more yogurt until cup is full.
2. Disperse Skittles throughout all of the yogurt in the cup. Think of folding in ingredients like in baking; you don’t want to vigorously stir or you’ll end up with purple yogurt pops instead of red, white and blue “fireworks”. Didn’t know you were going to get some color theory mixed (oops I mean folded) into this recipe did you?
3. Level off excess yogurt with a knife edge and insert popsicle stick about ¾ of the way in.
4. Freeze for at least one hour.
5. Remove from freezer and peel bathroom cup off of the pop.
Cool off with this tasty treat!
If you’re serving these family style you can lay them in a serving bowl of ice so they stay chilled.
Because the bag is massive (41 oz.), I had plenty of Skittles left to layer in an apothecary jar for a festive decoration and of course to nibble on.
How do you like to tie America’s colors into your summer food and decor? Check out more fun red, white and blue summer inspiration here!