It’s taken me twenty-something years, but I have finally solidified my must have makeup bag essentials. Being out in the wild and realizing that I’m missing any of these items is reminiscent of a recurring nightmare from my school days that I forget to wear clothes to class. Ok, I know it’s a little dramatic, but these are my desert island products! 😉
While these are my primary makeup bag musts, the lip and eye colors alternate depending on my mood, season and style.
1. I love this lil kabuki guy. He came as part of an ecoTOOLS set that was only 12 bucks for 4 kabuki brushes. I love it for my powder and blush; it’s so soft it feels heavenly, plus it’s compact size fits in my makeup bag perfectly.
2. I lucked out with this bareMinerals Lash Domination Mascara sample. It’s lush, super black and dramatic, just like I like it. I like to keep a mascara sample in my makeup bag because especially after a long day, my watery eyes can do a number on my mascara.
3. MAC Petal Power Blush is my all time favorite blush color. It’s like a natural flush, but with a lovely glow, without being sparkly. I wore this for my wedding so it stays a fave for sentimental reasons too. I may very well may be the only person on the planet that would tie a blush to sentiment, but I’m ok with that.
4. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is my staple face powder/sometimes foundation. This powder is microfine so even when my skin is dry and flaky, it still looks natural. Unless I’m having a major breakout, this is my go-to day off foundation.
5. NYX Butter Lip Balm in Parfait feels so good and creamy on my dry lips, and gives me a pop of color on my minimal makeup days.
6. Benefit POREfessional Agent Zero Shine Powder is a game changing product guys, and that is not my dramatic flair speaking. Not only is the packaging brilliant (there is a convenient top to sprinkle the powder into, and the brush is on the other end), but it eliminates shine without adding a cakey powder finish. It even smoothes out texture. Perfection.
7. This MAC Prep & Prime Highlighter in Bright Forecast is such a good multi-tasker. It brightens up the under eye area (I mix it with a little concealer when sleep eludes me), acts as a subtle highligher, and covers up the surprise mid-day pimple when I’m on the go.
8. This little swab with makeup remover cleans up any eye makeup fall out or mascara flecks that may occur when applying mascara while stopped at a red light (never while driving!). I’m finishing the last of these from MAC (I hoarded them when they were discontinued), but I have heard great things about the Almay Makeup Eraser Sticks and I have them on deck for when I use my last of the MAC ones.
9. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Smoke is my favorite eyeliner, hands down. It minimizes the fall out issue mentioned in #8, glides on creamy smooth and lasts all day. For real.
10. L’Oréal Colour Riche Balm in Caramel Comfort is my favorite everyday lip product. It gives me just enough color so as to not look awkward when wearing no other makeup. This caramel hued beauty provides just enough sheen, and is hydrating to boot.
11. I’ve had this Marc Jacobs makeup bag for several years, and still love it. They don’t make this style anymore, but if you like it, this one is similar.
12. MAC Mini Fix +, oh how I love thee! This is a little sis of the original full size. The delightful smelling, vitamin enriched spray spoils me with a wonderful midday pick me up, as well as freshens dull afternoon skin.
13. This little Purse Essentials pack of mini makeup wipes I got from CVS are a lifesaver when I suffer from the crises listed in essentials #2 and #8.
14. MAC Mineralize Glass in Be Nice is my staple lipgloss in the winter. It’s mineral packed formula is cushiony and moisturizing, with no stickiness. The subtle coral is a perfect neutral for my light skin tone.
15. I’m convinced that everyone needs to own MAC Whirl Lip Pencil. It’s the ultimate neutral; not too pink, not too orange or brown, glides on smoothly and the formula LASTS.
16. Due to my unwavering love for essential #15, Sephora Pencil Cap Sharpener seems to me to be one of the most special beauty inventions ever. There’s nothing worse than pulling out an eye or lip pencil and it’s so stubby that the wooden nub threatens to carve your lips or eyes. This little guy acts as a cap for any standard size pencil, and has a hidden sharpener in it! Genius, right?!
So those are my makeup bag musts, do you have any desert island staples you live by in your makeup bag?