Create this fun Coffee & Christmas Spirit Christmas Mug with a Cricut machine and permanent adhesive vinyl. It’s a perfect gift idea for the coffee lovers in your life!
I love customizing coffee cups with my Cricut machine… so far I’ve made these Christmas coffee mugs, this Mother’s Day coffee cup and this Father’s Day mug. Customized mugs make such an easy gift idea and who doesn’t love to have a fun mug in their cabinet that was lovingly made for them?! This Coffee & Christmas Spirit DIY coffee mug is probably my favorite one yet. I love the bright, festive colors and I’m all about some coffee and some Christmas spirit! Wouldn’t this make a fun DIY Christmas gift?
How to Make a Christmas Mug with a Cricut Machine
Printable instruction card below.
If you think you’d like to make this DIY Christmas mug (or any DIY mug for that matter), there are a few helpful tips that will make your mug customizing much easier.
Use the Template Function in Cricut Design Space
When you’re designing your mug in Cricut Design Space, use the templates function. There are a ton of product templates to help give you an idea of what size you need to cut the design for your cup or dozens of other project types.
How to Apply Adhesive Vinyl to a Coffee Cup
First things first… when applying vinyl to a cup, tumbler, glass, etc., always use permanent vinyl. For best results and longevity, ideally the cup, glass, tumbler, etc. should be handwashed.
When applying adhesive vinyl to any of your Cricut projects, combining all of the cut elements so that you’re applying the total design with only 1 piece of transfer tape is the easiest. This, along with applying transfer tape with the hinge method also helps prevent placement mishaps. For this design I simply cut around each word, taped the back and applied the transfer tape over the entire design. For more intertwined or intricate vinyl layering, you can find a detailed tutorial here.
Ok, are you ready to make your own?!
- Open the Coffee & Christmas Spirit cut file. Customize the colors and size if you'd like. Select your materials for each layer and cut each color of vinyl.
- Cut around each piece and weed.
- Tape pieces together on the back with the spacing you want them on the Christmas mug.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape to cover the entire design and burnish around all elements.
- To avoid any placement mistakes, position your design where you want it on the mug prior to removing the design from the liner and place a piece of tape vertically (slightly off center) all the way down the design to keep it firmly in place.
- Peel the liner away from the transfer tape on the wider side of the design until you reach the taped area. Cut that portion of the liner off with scissors and press the transfer tape onto the mug, smoothing from the inside out. Remove the tape and peel away the remainder of the liner from the transfer tape and smooth onto the mug.
- Peel back transfer tape.
Can you think of a coffee lover that this Christmas mug would be perfect for? There’s no harm in making one for yourself too while you’re at it. 😉