Create this trendy fall buffalo check no-sew pillow with some simple folding tricks and a Cricut or other cutting machine! This technique can be used to create any style of pillow for any season or holiday!
I got a late start on fall decorating this year but now it is underway in full force. I always have a bit of a challenge integrating the warm tones of fall into my decor because we are all about some gray up in here. Gray, gray everywhere. I love gray because it can work with so many colors, but you know what colors that I don’t like with gray? Copper, brown… basically all of the quintessential colors of fall. That puts me in quite a pickle with my love of gray and my love of all things fall. Well I found a work around this year to make room for my favorite fall color, copper, by way of my buffalo check no-sew pillow and my Cricut. Yayyyy!!!!
Fall DIY No-Sew Pillow with Buffalo Check
- Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore Air 2 machine
- Standard Grip Mat
- Pebbled Faux Leather in Copper
- Maple Leaf Cut File
- Spray adhesive
- 18″ pillow insert
- Buffalo check flannel blanket scarf or equivalent size fabric if you want to make a cover (something like this)
1. Open up the maple leaf cut file (here) in Design Space (you can change the dimensions depending on the size of your pillow).
2. When ready to cut, turn the dial on your machine to Custom and select Faux Leather, Cricut from the drop-down menu.
Ok can we just take a moment here? I mean, look at this stuff. The texture, the color, the metallic sheen… swoon.
And there she is… my favorite symbol of fall, the maple leaf.
Gently peel the faux leather leaf off of the mat; lay it upside down and generously apply spray adhesive to the back. Make sure you get the pointy edges well, as they will tend to want to lift up.
4. Place the leaf where you would like it to be positioned on the pillow and press down. I placed a few heavy books on top for a few hours to make sure it was securely attached.
If you need a pillow for this project and you have no idea how to sew (like me), you can make a DIY no-sew pillow!
DIY No-sew Pillow
1. Lay a pillow in the center of the scarf/fabric and fold over from the top and bottom, making sure that the seam is in the middle of the pillow.
2. Fold in the sides (they should cover the seam), kind of like you’re wrapping a present.
3. Depending on how long the sides are, you can tie them in the middle into a pretty knot or bow, or if you want to keep it really classy like me (a.k.a. the sides weren’t long enough haha) you can hold the ends together with a zip tie or twist tie.
4. You can feel free to leave it at that because this side of the pillow will be facing the couch, but if you’d like it to be more finished, you can tuck the excess fabric back under the twist tie and pull some of it out so it’s like a little poof.
Ta-da! And that is how copper came to live in my fall decor in peaceful harmony with all the gray. My fall no-sew pillow tied in the copper rope basket I made perfectly too. Wheee!!!
These Christmas and Easter pillows are more great no-sew holiday pillow ideas!
What design would you want to add to your DIY pillow?
I usually love all the bright colors of fall but this year they all seem too bright and sure don’t go well in our light gray walls, light aqua and little bit of coral living room. Am going with white pumpkins so will be painting all the $ store and thrift shop pumpkins have collected. Since it’s just the two of us won’t be putting up so many decorations all over, gets to be bit much for us two old rascals. Will be decorating our front porch but not until our brisk winds calm down. Can be challenging to decorate out here.
Your pillow is so great, love smart idea using a scarf, looks so pretty. Scarf looks like it’s nice and soft.
Enjoy rest of week
I always love white pumpkins too Jane Ellen. Thanks so much for your comment! I’d love to see your fall porch, that’s something I’ve never really done but would like to this year! Enjoy the rest of your week as well! 🙂
This faux leather stuff is so neat!!! I need to check it out! I absolutely love how your pillow turned out, and I hear you on fall color conundrums! Most of our home is grey (and purple, obviously!) and I always feel a bit stumped on how to decorate for fall. But I think you nailed the colors here 😉
Thank you so much Emily! I love purple with gray, I’m sure your home is gorgeous!
Erin Trimbull says
I love this idea! I just got a cricket but had no idea they had leatehr.
jenn crookston says
I didn’t even think about using the faux leather on fabric! What an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jenn, I’m so obsessed with the faux leather!
David @ Spiced says
So I have pretty much no skill when it comes to sewing and crafts. By ‘pretty much’ I mean none. But perhaps we can work out a deal? Biscotti for awesome Fall decor? 🙂
Haha David I love it! And DEAL! 🙂
Whoa! That is cool!!
Thank you Brit!
That faux leather is so awesome!
Isn’t it?! I can’t stop! 😉
Mrs Major Hoff says
Super cute and spot on for fall!
Thanks so much! 🙂
I love the juxtaposition of the textures. Great idea to show how to make it no sew.
Thanks Shannon! The new-sew is a must for me! 😉